Thursday, October 23, 2008

Ogden Browns...

What a busy life we live in.. I didn't get to do much river fishing this year, but that's ok. Having a family as awesome as mine outweighs the tugs of the river. Even though I love them dearly, it is still nice to get in the stream once in a while! 
I snuck off to the Ogden river yesterday with Matt Barney. With our work schedules we were only able to fish the last couple hours of light. Of course I forgot my camera, so this is a picture of a Brown we caught out of there last year. We started off throwing nymphs, but not much was happening with that. We switched to dries and did okay. I landed 2, and I think Matt pulled in 5 or so. 
I needed this trip. It just seems like life is okay when you are in a river. I didn't worry about the stock market or my insurance premiums. Car problems and homework were the last thing on my mind. Even though fishing may seem simple, and it can be, it can teach you many lessons if you are willing to listen and ponder. I'll give you a couple of examples of what the river taught me just yesterday.
Keep focused, but keep your eyes open to other things! 
I was downstream trying to cast up under an overhanging tree. There was a nice pocket right next to the bank that I thought would for sure hold something. I was using a small parachute adams and it was getting dark. Talk about a bugger to see! I thought I made a good cast and was watching my fly drift down stream. Suddenly in the 'not so obvious' hole next to the one I was fishing, I saw a fish rise. Instinctively, I set the hook. Fish on. Sometimes in life we get so focused on our goals that we miss the truly important things, or even the thing that we are striving for. For example, sometimes we are so obsessed with school so that we can get a career that we miss the opportunity of a lifetime for a career! We need to stay focused on important things, but we need to remember what is important, and set the hook when that opportunity arises!
You can't always do it alone....
The glare on the left side of the river made it impossible to see my fly. I knew it was a decent hole, but I couldn't see my fly. Matt said that he could, so I cast there anyways. All I could see was glare and all of a sudden I hear "OOOHH" which is Barney language for "You got a bite!" I set the hook, and fish on! I never would have caught that fish if I was fishing alone. I later returned the favor as I helped Matt hook a fish the same way. This is another life lesson... We cannot always do things better by ourselves. That is why God said that it is not good for man to be alone! My sweet wife is my eyes when life has a glare on it. She is the one who tells me when there is something important when I simply cannot see it. Would I have been ok without catching that fish? Sure. But why fish if you are not going to try to catch fish. Could I make it through life alone? Maybe. But how grateful I am that I have someone to help me create memories and enrich my life in ways that I could not do alone.
Hey river... Thanks for the lessons.

1 comment:

Bry and Amb said...

Back in the day we use to hit the water a bunch. How do I get another invite for you to show me up? I have a lot of catching up to do? I miss the river.

....'I am haunted by waters."